The Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention and Consumer Protection Act of 2005 requires that you complete an approved session of credit counseling before declaring bankruptcy. RethinkingDebt is proud to be one of the original providers of bankruptcy counseling and financial education services approved under the revised 2005 bankruptcy code. After completing the session, you'll receive a certificate and qualify to complete the bankruptcy filing process. Pre-bankruptcy counseling sessions will teach you about:
- The bankruptcy process and the consequences of declaring bankruptcy
- The difference between Chapter 7 bankruptcy and Chapter 13 bankruptcy
- Alternatives: debt consolidation - debt management programs, other options for
paying off debts
- A personal budget counseling session to help you examine your financial circumstances
- Living within a budget and modifying lifestyle
Our bankruptcy counseling sessions can take place online, in-person, or over the telephone. RethinkingDebt is committed to outstanding customer service. Our Client Support Department is open Monday-Friday 8am-5pm (EST). We provide other consumer credit counseling services including debt consolidation and debt management programs, foreclosure prevention counseling, housing counseling, reverse mortgage counseling, other options for paying off debts, and financial education.