Borrowing to pay for college was the easy part, but understanding your repayment options is at best confusing. At RethinkingDebt, our counselors have expert knowledge of the available student loan programs and repayment solutions. We will look at not only your student loan debt, but also your whole financial picture. We will guide you based on your unique situation to ensure timely and affordable repayment. Our Student Loan Counseling has three levels to help you with your different needs.
To get started Click here to go to the Student Loan Profile page. There you will create your profile. Once you've created a profile, one of our Client Support staff with call you to set up an appointment.
Student Loan Counseling Levels:
Level 1- Self Directed- $75
Level 1 - Counseling is our basic level of one on one counseling. Our counselors will educate you on your student loans but you will continue to manage on your own. This appointment runs about 1 hour. In a Level 1 session, we will:
- Educate on Federal and Private student loans
- Create an FSA ID if necessary
- Locate loans on NSLDS or credit report
- Explore repayment options
- Create an in-depth budget to determine affordability
- Provide resources for self-management of loans
- Develop an action plan based on client’s budget and goals
Level 2- Counselor Assisted- $125
Level 2 - is our mid-level counseling option. It provides more intervention by our counselors than level 1. This appointment averages 1.5 hours. In addition to all of Level 1, during a Level 2 session we will:
- Guide you in handling your loan repayment options and complete the required paperwork for you
- Address any delinquent loans and develop an action plan to manage your student loans
- Submit documentation to servicers and advocate on your behalf until resolution is achieved
Level 3- Default- $250
Level 3 - is our most involved level and is for those who are in default on their Federal student loans. This appointment will last about 2 hours. Level 3 combines all aspects of the first two levels, in addition, we will:
- Educate you on options to get out of default
- Contact collection agencies and set up rehabilitation payment arrangement for client
- Submit all documentation to collection agency
- If necessary, consolidate all student loans
To get started Click here to go to the Student Loan Profile page. There you will create your profile. Once you've created a profile, one of our Client Support staff with call you to set up an appointment. Once you have set the appointment up you can use the link below tomake a payment for your appointment. We are here to help eliminate the stress and confusion and get you back on track with your student loan repayment.
Follow-up and Recertification appointments
These appointments are not required but are available to those individuals who have already had a one-on-one counseling session and would like additional assistance with their student loans. In addition, any client on an Income Driven Plan must recertify annually. This can be done on your own or with a recertification appointment. The cost for a one hour follow-up/recertification appointment is $50.